Monday July 16 - This day started out as a normal day, I got up and went to work. I was 38 weeks along so I was trying to get everything organized and ready for my time off. I had a lot of stuff left to take care of, we were in the middle of upgrading computers at work and I was the lead on getting that taken care of along with my normal functions. But I thought I have 2 weeks, plenty of time to get everything taken care of, brief the people that would be taking care of things while I was gone, no worries. At the end of the day, I went home - everything was going along normal - no contractions. I got home and told my hubby that I wanted to clean the car - inside and out so I could get the car seat installed and ready to go. My plans for the evening - clean car, pack bags for hospital and install carseat. I should have known since I planned to do all this and be ready to go he would decide if I was ready so was he. Haha.
We got the car cleaned, car seat & base installed, and bags pretty much packed.... I had been having a few contractions during all this but nothing different from what i had been having the previous couple of weeks. About 6:30 I went to Dairy Queen to get some food, I was too tired after cleaning the car to mess with fixing supper. While I was in the drive thru I noticed that my contractions were a little bit stronger and thought to myself - you over did it and need to get home and relax. After I ate I took a shower and decided I would finish packing my bags - I got a phone call from my mom and I told her I was having some contractions but nothing major, I was going to go to bed soon and I would talk to her tomorrow. My stepmom text me not too long after that and asked if I had that baby.... I told her no, I was getting ready to go to bed. At about 9 I went and laid down and the contractions were getting stronger - still I thought I had just over done it and that was my body telling me to stop. Haha. I laid there for a while and poor hubby kept asking, do we need to go to the hospital??? I kept telling him no but they kept getting stronger so finally I said, I think we need to go to the hospital. His response - "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" Haha. So, I get out of bed - change, I had on shorts and a tank top(It was July after all). About 9:45 I text my mom and told her I was going to the hospital. She said she would meet us there. I got some clothes out of the dryer that I wanted to take with me, put on some make-up. I figured since I was at the hospital for 18 hours before I had my first son, I have PLENTY of time.. My husband didn't think so, he couldn't believe I was putting on make-up. Haha. We woke up my son. As we were leaving I text my dad and in-laws, told them I was going to the hospital and they could come whenever - no need to rush, I figured I would be there for a while but they insisted on coming right away. I can't remember who all else we text, I know my best friend and sister were there.
So, we are in the car driving through town and get stuck behind a REALLY slow driver - contractions are getting stronger - hubby is driving/panicking - so he passes a car in the MIDDLE of town!!! Haha. I told him he didn't have to drive like a crazy person we were ok. Well, about half way to the hospital - "Babe, I think my water just broke" Hubby - "Do I need to drive faster?" Haha. Driving through the middle of Jasper, we pass 2 vehicles! I can't believe we didn't get pulled over. I told him he was going to get pulled over, he said he would stop when we got to the hospital... Once we pulled up to the hospital he jumps out of the car and runs in and tells them his wife is in labor - soon I follow behind him.
At this point my contractions are REALLY strong.....and seem to be REALLY close together. The lady at the front desk in the ER has me sit in a wheelchair and says they will be with me shortly. After a few minutes - seeing the pain on my face she says she is going to see if they are about ready. Finally - they wheel me back to a room where they have to ask me all the questions to get me checked in..... UGH!! Trying to answer questions during an intense contraction - really??? Please just get me to a room I am thinking. Finally the other lady in there said she was going to take me up we could finish it later, THANK YOU!! Haha. Once we get up to the room they ask me if I want to go to the restroom and change into my gown - I think to myself, do they really want to know if I want privacy considering what they are getting ready to see?? :) I tell the nurse I am fine changing right here - although changing during a contraction, not so easy.
They get me in the bed and start hooking me up and asking questions - seeing how much pain I was in she decided to go ahead and check me - I was 5cm... Holy COW!! At this point I was scare to death I waited too long and wasn't going to be able to get an epidural - all you women out there that go thru this with nothing you are AMAZING!! I dont know that I could do it, I guess if i had to I wouldnt' really have a choice but if I have a choice, please give me something!! The nurse put in the orders but had to get blood drawn and paperworks done before epidural... :( PLEASE HURRY is all I kept thinking. This was say - 1030-1045?? Only an hour after I had told my mom I was getting ready to head to hospital...
The lab came to draw blood and right on her heels was anthesiology to do the epidural! As soon as the epidural was in the nurse checked me - 9cm!! 5 more minutes and i probably wouldn't have gotten my epidural! The doctor came in, have I mentioned how much I love my doctor, the nurse (which was a girl I know from Loogootee) told her I was 9cm so she checked me too and said I was ready to push. There was a girl next door as well that was about ready to push so it was a toss up who to stay with, my doctor was doctor for both. After she checked me she decided we would start pushing. I have no clue what time it is at this point, I am guessing 1120-1130?? Did I mention my wonderful mommy met us in the room a few minutes after we had gotten in there - I dont know how i would have done it without her. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my husband but there were a few times I thought he was going to pass out. Haha. And she has been there with me during delivery of both my boys - she is always there when I need her...
So, we start pushing....almost there, little man's heart rate is falling a little bit. Dr tells me I have one more push and if I dont get him out she is going to use the vaccuum becuase she didn't like his heart rate going down... I push and it wasn't quite enough so out came the vaccuum - which afterwards she said she didn't really need it but better safe than sorry, I agree. So, July 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM William Keith Strange AKA Liam joined our family. He was 22 1/2 in, 7lbs 10oz of perfection. I fell in love with him the day I saw a postive pregnancy test but the moment they put him on my chest - he had me.... It is so hard to explain the love a mother has for her baby...
Everything happened so fast!! From the time I text my mom to the time Liam was here was 2hrs 6 min - I know they say your second one is faster but I was not expecting that. Haha.
My son, all of our parents, my sister and her girls, my sister-in-law, and best friend were all there to help us welcome this special little man into the world - although everything happened so fast the only people I saw once we got to the hospital were my mom and hubby.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.